The founder and director of Global Orphan Prevention will be among the featured guests Friday, April 8, at the Social Impact Summit, located in the Barsema Alumni and Visitor Center starting at 8:30am!
The event, hosted by the NIU-based Collegiate Association of Unreasonable Social Entrepreneurs, is intended to educate students (and others) about social entrepreneurialism, to inspire them to increase their societal and environmental impacts and to create a forum where individuals passionate about changing the world can network.
The event will include presentations by social entrepreneurs, including Katie Hilborn as the keynote speaker. Katie is the founder and director of Global Orphan Prevention, an international nonprofit dedicated to keeping mothers and children together through social entrepreneurship, education, and a clean birthing program.
Katie grew up in St. Charles, Illinois and spent most of her adult life in the Colorado ski town of Breckenridge. Because she lived in a seasonal environment, she had the opportunity to leave the country during the off-seasons. Since beginning to travel the globe in 2006 after she graduated from university, she always incorporated a volunteer project. Now twenty-seven countries and six continents later, she has seen first-hand how the developing world lives and has made it her mission to change that.
Currently, she is working on a social entrepreneurship program to help eradicate child trafficking in Nepal. By investing in cash crops (chili and cardamom farming), her hope is that these income generating activities will help empower the marginalized indigenous populations.
For more information, check out her website, here.
This year, CAUSE will have a similar schedule with a few changes:
- 8:30 – 9:15am: Coffee and Pastries with opening remarks from CAUSE
- 9:15 – 10:00am: Keynote Speaker, Katie Hilborn
- 10:05 – 10:45am: Breakout Sessions #1
- 10:50 – 11:30am: Breakout Session #2
- 11:30 – 12:00pm: Lunch and Networking
- 12:00 – 1:15pm: Pitch With a CAUSE Competition
- Closing Remarks from CAUSE
There will be two rounds of breakout sessions, and guests can choose which panel to sit in on each round. Panels to choose from during the day will include:
Impact Investing Panel:
- Somya Munjal, is a CPA, MBA, MAS and is the Chief Youth Servant at Youthful Savings.
- Eric Wasowicz is an Investor and Advisor with Channel Clarity LLC.
- Joe Parisi is a Co-founder of Guard Lama.
- Greg Lernihan, is the Co-founder of Convergint Technologies.
Working In Developing Countries:
- Katie Hilborn is the founder and director of Global Orphan Prevention.
- Rich Johnson is the Cofounder and CEO of Spark Ventures.
- Kurt Thurmaier is a professor and researcher at Northern Illinois University.
- Nancy Economou is the founder and president of Watts of Love.
- Moira Hardek is the President and CEO of Galvanize Labs, Inc.
- Abby Ross is the co-founder and COO of ThinkCERCA.
- Mark Schwartz is the CEO at PDT.
Pitch With a CAUSE Competition:
- Pitch With a CAUSE is a competition for anyone who has an idea for a business that makes a positive social or environmental impact. The competition is open to anyone who’s interested in making a submission- high schoolers, undergrads, grad students, non-students, retirees, kindergarteners, etc. Everyone is welcome. A panel of expert investors and social entrepreneurs will select the top 5 submissions to present at the Social Impact Summit on Friday, April 8th. Each group will have 5 minutes to pitch their idea followed up with 5 minutes of Q and A from the audience and panel of judges. The team selected as the winner at the 2016 Social Impact Summit will take home the $1,500 grand prize! Second place wins $1,000 and third place wins $500!
For more information on the Social Impact Summit or CAUSE in general, please email the CAUSE President, Ilsa, at firstname.lastname@example.org.